Monday, June 18, 2012

We have Different Gifts... if Yours is Serving, Then Serve

Hello everyone. I hope that you are enjoying this blog and it has made you feel connected to what we’re doing here in Birmingham. I will just come out at say that I am a rookie on this trip, because it’s the first time that I’ve been able to come.  I am very humbled by what I saw today.
            The first glimpse of the tornado damage came for me on the way to our worksite, when Meg Dare pointed out fallen tree after fallen tree and piles of rubble that were once houses. I wished that we could stop at every damaged house to at least help in some way. When my group finally got to our worksite, we immediately wanted to do as much as we could in addition to the wall that got painted. The man whom we were working for had in the past year lost his wife, and you could tell he just had lost the will to live. The one thing that I remembered throughout the day that really kept me going was how happy he was to see us and to know that we were going to help him do what he couldn’t do himself.
            In a way, I was able to relate to him because of one small detail of his house. When you walked in the door, it smelled like cigarette smoke. That was the same way my aunt’s house smelled.  My aunt passed away when I was 6 years old.  I kept that in my   mind when I wanted to give up because I was tired.  I wanted him to know that we sympathized with him and I wish we could have talked to him longer.
            I enjoyed what I did today more than anything else I’ve ever done related to volunteer service within FBC and beyond.  It gave me a sense of accomplishment and it gave me hope for the future of people in Alabama with damaged houses.  Our reflection at the end of the day revealed that it was a rewarding experience for all three work sites.
          “For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function,  so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.  We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach.” –Romans 12:4-7

by Elizabeth Riley

p.s. If anyone hears something about a group named the Fantastic Four from this trip, they were very hard workers! J

No comments:

Post a Comment