Monday, June 18, 2012

Some Words from Zachary Rounds

Hi, and for some of you, greetings again. Just like a few Sundays ago, I’ll be keeping this short (though for an entirely different reason this time; we are entirely worn out).
So, Trey told us that we would most likely be doing some roofing this week. When I asked about this, only the slightest bit concerned, Trey assured me that we’d be working on one-story, mostly flat roofs. I mean, really, this is Alabama. So, when we pulled up to the house we worked on today, I was a bit intimidated by the two-story-built-on-a-high-foundation-with-a-pretty-seriously-slanted-roof-house that imposed itself before me.
Though I seriously considered the possibility, this time I didn’t faint. I simply watched as the first batch of youth ascended the rickety ladder that seemed dangerously tall and let my feet quiver in my metaphorical boots. Before long, the Alabama sun worked its devilish magic and some youth needed serious replacing. As they trudged back down the ladder, I realized that I had a decision to make. Not only that, I had a message to live up to. It had hardly been two weeks since I proclaimed to the world that fear should be faced head on. So, you know how the rest of the story goes. I climbed that ladder, walked that roof, tore the heck out of some shingles, and even put down a few lines of tar paper before the day was through.
Now, retrospectively, I can confidently say that, though my fear is by no means conquered or gone, I’ve gained perhaps even just an inch of dominance over it. Therefore, let this serve as an echo of my voice from that short time ago. We shouldn’t let our fears control us; I wouldn’t have gotten up on the roof and done some work both fantastic and enjoyable.
Anyway, no big closing words from me. It’s time for a nice early night. This is Zachary Rounds, signing off.

P.S. – I have always wanted to do that! Yet another small victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment